The Bravest of the Brave, coping with fear via a counting and animal identification story...

The Bravest of the Brave - Shutta Crum, Tim Bowers

This is a book that invites interaction in more than the normal number of ways. It's about a skunk on its way home. The skunk runs into other animals (raccoons, spiders, etc.), gets scared, but does something to bulk up courage and scare the animals off.  The text never mentions these animals by name, inviting discussion over what the readers think the animals might have been. It's a good book for practicing making inferences based on the text and using the pictures to confirm them.  So for example, the pages relating to the spiders don't use the word "spider" instead they talk about "three nets" and "trappers." The pictures feature spiders, however, so if you can recognize one, you can easily tell if your guess was correct.  It's also a counting book.  Most of the time the number of items is shown in the illustration but sometimes it isn't, which allows for a fun interplay: "It says 'Nine hugs', what would nine hugs look like?" where the readers can act out or demonstrate in other ways how many it would be. There's a lot of physical motion that could be pulled out of the book due to the refrain of  "So I / they _____, as _____ as I / they could" with the blanks actions and descriptions.  "So I stood tall, as tall as I could","So I danced, as wildly as I could," "So I pawed the ground, as...", etc. Great for if you need motions throughout the book for more physically active listeners.